Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default French Beans

On 02/08/2013 22:15, Victoria Conlan wrote:
Janet wrote:
How do you tell if the above are ready to harvest?

As soon as they are big enough to eat, about 3" long. The harder you
pick them the more beans they produce so don't hold back.

That seems to be true for runner beans, and I'm sure it's been true
about my french beans in the past, but this year I seem to be picking
and then they don't do any more. :-(
(possibly also related to more of them than should have been are looking
like they are dwarf ones rather than climbing)

The easy answer is to go into tesco and look at the french beans they
sell, then you will have an idea of how yours should be when you pick them.