Old 06-08-2013, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Early autumn

In article ,
says...

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...

How long was te power off, fridges aren't particulary critical for 24
hrs provided you open it as little as possible. Freezers should
manage 12 hours or longer, again don't open it. Unless you *really*
have, think ahead when the power goes can help. In the case of the
fridge take a bottle of milk out and wrap it in a wet tea towel.

Yup - freezers (and fridges) are the main worry in my power cut scenario.

We (fortunately) had just bought a new high efficiency
fridge/freezer, before the big power cut on Arran. I kept the freezer
shut and the house was unheated. Our house got power restored (by
generator) after three days and that's when I opened the freezer to
survey the damage. To my amazement, everything was still icy hard;
perfectly safe to defrost and either eat, or cook raw meat/veg and
refreeze. We lost nothing at all.

keep a plastic milk bottle half full of frozen
water in the freezer, only store it on its side once frozen.
You will then be re-assured when you return from a holiday or other long
absence when you see the vertical edge of the water therein
on your return.

That is a really good tip, thanks.

Janet.