Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Where are the insects?

Took a look at my runner beans this morning, a mass of flower but many
an insect on them, well there were 2 bumble bees on the white flowered
ones and nothing on the red.
a lot of bare stalks where the flowers are aborting. but the peas which
are planted with them are podding up well, there are also sweet peas at
each end of the row (65ft long).
On the dahlias I saw another 3 bumble bees, no hoverefly or other insects.
I don't know if they were still sheltering from the rain we have had; 2
inches from midday Sunday to Midday yesterday, in all since the rain
started 8 days ago we had had 5.2 inches. and at last the cracks have
gone, but despite yesterdays downpour I could walk over the field this
morning, almost all of the rain has soaked in.
Not everyone liked it
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbcd2ea91.jpg
David @ a sunny Swansea Bay.