Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Guv Bob[_2_] Guv Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Huge oak tree in neighbour's garden

PS -- Be sure that when you cut the limbs that it doesn't kill the tree.

When I have to prune a tree that is important to keep, I always make up a disinfecting solution of 1 teaspoon of chlorox in a gallon of water, wipe it around where I'm going to cut and wipe the saw blade. Then after cutting, paint the open wound with a pruning seal. Cheap, easy and helps to ensure the tree survives. I do this even with small cuts if the tree is important to keep.

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
If the trimmer took checks from both of you, she can deal with him about any shaping on her side. You can cut off any limbs on your side without involving her.

If you paid the trimmer and then she paid you, then both you and the trimmer will have to work with her.

"Lisa T" wrote in message ...

My neighbour has a huge oak tree literally on my boundary fence. It's so
massive that it takes all light from the middle section of my garden.
The trees on my side (an apple and rowan tree) are bending, trying to
look for light. My neighbour has let us cut the branches overhanging our
property before. I have asked if we can take it down but she says she
wants to keep it for 'shade' on her side. As a compromise, we agreed we
could take the height down to the levels of the trees next to it, and
leave the branches on her side as they are. I've consulted a tree
surgeon who says he can make a good job of trying to make a compromise
(without, in his words, "it looking like a helicopter has crashed into
it"). My neighbour is now starting to get difficult and saying she
"doesn't want a lot taking off" and that she doesn't want it "lop
sided". When we had the overhanging branches taken off a couple of years
back (with her blessing), she never said a word. Now she's saying he
"cut off half the tree and didn't shape it". But, it didn't change the
aspect on her side at all, just stopped the branches completely
overshadowing our side. It it right that we have absolutely no right to
take some of this tree down when it takes our light so badly? I'd never
want to make it look ugly or odd, or to upset my neighbour. But frankly,
I can't see how we can find a compromise if she won't allow us to cut
the branches that overhang our property. It feels grossly unfair. This
tree is about 30 feet high...

--
Lisa T