Old 06-08-2013, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Where are the insects?

"David Hill" wrote ...

Took a look at my runner beans this morning, a mass of flower but many an
insect on them, well there were 2 bumble bees on the white flowered ones
and nothing on the red.
a lot of bare stalks where the flowers are aborting. but the peas which are
planted with them are podding up well, there are also sweet peas at each
end of the row (65ft long).
On the dahlias I saw another 3 bumble bees, no hoverefly or other insects.
I don't know if they were still sheltering from the rain we have had; 2
inches from midday Sunday to Midday yesterday, in all since the rain
started 8 days ago we had had 5.2 inches. and at last the cracks have gone,
but despite yesterdays downpour I could walk over the field this morning,
almost all of the rain has soaked in.
Not everyone liked it
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbcd2ea91.jpg

Our runners, all white flowered varieties, are doing extremely well. We only
planted half we usually do but have been unable to keep up with the picking.
Lots have ended up back on the compost heap because we have no-one to give
them to. It appears runner beans are considered too difficult to deal with
by some modern housewives or simply not liked by those of ethnic background.
Will the runner bean survive into the future?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.