Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Where are the insects?

Our runners, all white flowered varieties, are doing extremely well. We
only planted half we usually do but have been unable to keep up with the
picking. Lots have ended up back on the compost heap because we have
no-one to give them to. It appears runner beans are considered too
difficult to deal with by some modern housewives or simply not liked by
those of ethnic background.
Will the runner bean survive into the future?

Talking of runner beans, How do you slice yours?
I've always used a bean slicer
http://www.dennyandsons.co.uk/tradit...cer-p1851.html
I found that if you don't want fine slices of beans then by removing
alternate blades you have a thicker slice. I was lucky one of my slicers
opened easily.
I also run a potato peeler along the sides to de string older beans.
David @ a sunny Swansea Bay