Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Butterfly id

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2013-08-07 10:35:08 +0100, Malcolm said:

In article , Sacha
writes
I got only a quick look at a butterfly in the garden the other day but
it appeared to be a dullish brown with a purple sheen to the upper
parts of its wings, when open. It was about the size of a Red
Admiral, I'd think. It's been suggested it was a Purple Hairstreak.
Anyone any other ideas? The attempted photo was appalling!
The description is OK, but Purple Hairstreaks are almost exactly half
the size of Red Admirals, 30-40mm wingspan compared with 65-75mm.

Well, I've already commented on my own ability to judge sizes but I'd
have thought this was the same size. Is there anything else that you
could thing might fit that description?

No.

Purple Hairstreaks are also *very* rarely seen away from oak trees, but
you may of course have some of those. They certainly occur pretty
widely in south-west England.

There are a few oaks in the garden and in the one nearest to us but
that's across the churchyard and the school yard. I also saw a brown
butterfly with quite bright spots on its wings, lots of them but as it
was above my head and very restless, I couldn't get it very clearly.

Could be a Speckled Wood

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/speci...pecies=aegeria

And while I'm pestering you - sorry! - there was a moth in our bedroom
a few nights ago which was really tiny. The depth of the body was very
narrow and it appeared to be white speckled with black. Its wings were
spread out straight rather than folded against the body. Again, because
the ceiling is high and it was so small, I couldn't get a very clear
view of it. I've looked on web sites but can't see it. I do appreciate
your help!

I'm backing out of this one until you invest in a step-ladder!

You may well laugh! I went to get one and the wretched moth had gone!

There are a group of small moths called pugs which sit with their wings
straight out, but they difficult enough to identify even when you have
caught one and have it alongside the book.

There are also a group called micro-moths which are mostly very small
and many equally difficult to identify.

I'll have a hunt around in those groups, thank you.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com