Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default More Squash Bug Questions

In article ,
Derald wrote:

" wrote:

Pulling weeks around the new batch of Cucumbers and Zucchini this morning i
am seeing squash bugs again. I looked at the leaves and do not see any eggs
(ok not every leaf but a most of them) even on the ones that have holes
eaten in them.

Squash bugs do not eat holes in leaves. They are true "bugs": They
have piercing, sucking mouth parts.

Have they hatched or have they not laid them yet. The plants are about 3
weeks or so old. The cucumbers are "trailing" with flowers and the zucchini
have male flowers. I used Seven dust at the base of the plants and around
them with a very light dusting on the leaves.

Carbaryl ("Sevin", a trade name) should be used only before
enflorescence or, at the very latest, before pistillate flowers appear.
"Female" flowers are easy to spot before they open because each has a
nascent pepo clearly visible at the base of the bud. You don't want to
eat carbaryl, even at the supposed "safe" 2% concentration.

Is there anything else I can do? I don't see any damage at the base of the
plant (going into the ground).

What kind of damage are you looking for? From
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74144.html#MANAGEMENT
DAMAGE

Injury is limited to squash, pumpkin, melon, and other plants in the
cucurbit family.
Adults and nymphs cause damage by sucking plant juices. Leaves lose
nutrients and water and become speckled, later turning yellow to brown.
Under heavy feeding, plants begin to wilt, and the point of attack
becomes black and brittle. Small plants can be killed completely, while
larger cucurbits begin to lose runners. The wilting resembles bacterial
wilt, which is a disease spread by another pest of squash, the cucumber
beetle. The wilting caused by squash bugs is not a true disease. Squash
bugs may feed on developing fruits, causing scarring and death of young
fruit.

The wilting is similar to the symptoms of nematode infestation. However,
the plants will not "perk up" overnight.
If you're seeing small holes and frass in/on the vines near the
root crowns, what you have are squash vine borers, a different sort of
beast, entirely.
MJ

As an expedient, clear all mulch from under the vines and place
flat boards or something similar around the bases of the vines to
attract the bugs and their nymphs so that you can murder them in
whatever manner you find most rewarding. The key to control, such as it
is, is an early start: At the first breakout of the season, diligently
search the undersides of leaves for eggs and roust out nymphs before
they become reproductive.
I'm neither a rabid "organic" gardener nor an evangelist but,
personally, I'd forgo planting curcurbits if the only insect controls
were carbaryl and permethrin (a synthetic "pyrethroid", _not_ the same
as pyrethrin).
One nearly free method that you might try is to sow buckwheat far
enough ahead of the squash as to be well enough established that the
squash vines won't shade it out. Buckwheat attracts a native tachinid
fly, which parasitizes squash bugs. Not exactly a quick clean kill but
effective.
If your IP connection will allow, I highly recommend that you
download, print and study the PDF document found he
http://michiganorganic.msu.edu/uploa...and%20Squash%2
0Vine%20Borer%20Control.pdf
and, if squash and cucumbers mean that much to you, decide for yourself
which combination of controls that it outlines might be appropriate for
your garden and, above all _keep a journal_ to document results.

Alyssum is also supposed to be good at attracting the lacy wing wasp.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie