Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Out of control grape vine!

Higgs Boson said:

"Most grapes do not really care about soil.."

David, can you hear the anguished screams from vintners of France and

everywhere else
where wine grapes are grown! Can you say "terroir"???

Well!

The vintners may care, but the *grapes* don't!

The wild ones are scrambling all over the neglected parts of the
neighbors' yards, despite the fact that we all live on something
approximating a fossil sand dune. Every year I have to pull down
vines. The only nice thing I can say about these vines is that,
unlike the buckthorn, ailanthus, euonymus, white mulberries,
Siberian elm, white poplar, multiflora roses, etc, etc. that seed
themselves all over the neighborhood, the grapes (and poison ivy)
are natives.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."