Old 09-08-2013, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Recycle

"News" wrote
On an almost related note - our council is generally very good on
recycling collections. However, the only thing that puzzles me is
that it refuses to take any black plastic for recycling. Even down to
not taking a whole bag of plastic because it has a single black piece
visible in it.

Does anyone know why they would be allergic to black plastic? (A lot
of my plastic plantpots are black, if anyone's looking for the
(almost) on topic link).

My local council won't take plant pots of any colour. The only plastic
they do allow in our recycling bin is bottles of various sorts, e.g.
milk, detergents, shampoo or soft drinks, but no veg or fruit punnets,
yoghurt pots or margarine tubs or hard plastics.

It annoyed me to have to put so much potentially recyclable stuff into
landfill that I did once email them to complain and ask why, as I'm
perfectly willing to make sure plastic grocery containers etc go in the
right bin, as most people would be. They claimed the company they sell
the material to can't find an economic use for anything other than
bottles. This mystified me as it seems many other containers are made
from the same plastics as some of the bottles they do allow, if the
recycling triangle logos & codes are anything to go by. Not only that
but some other authorities *do* take other plastics. Why there can't be
ONE national system for goodness sake, beats me - then we'd all know
where we are.

--
Sue