Old 09-08-2013, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Butterfly id

On 2013-08-07 14:39:07 +0000, echinosum said:

;989363 Wrote:
From the size and the sheen I'd guess that it was a Purple Emperor
male,
it's the right time of year and it does frequent oak trees.

The only thing that is wrong is the area of the country, as it tends not
to be found further west than Hampshire. 'UK Butterflies - Purple
Emperor - Apatura iris' (
http://tinyurl.com/l72on8j)

Have a look through http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk to see what catches
your fancy.

Nothing else seems to match the description. I went out today, hoping to
see it again but that didn't happen. I'll try again tomorrow, if the
weather holds. The forecast isn't great.

I feel quite honoured to have seen two or three Jersey Tiger Moths in
the garden this week. I don't think they're rare, but usually have a
much more southern distribution.

Apart from the usual whites (not to be sneezed at these days), we have
quite a few gatekeepers in the garden, too.

I caught an extremely fleeting glimpse of a butterfly yesterday with
wings of such a pale beige that it looked almost like a sliver of
tortoiseshell with the light shining through it. It flitted past me so
quickly I had no chance to register much more! At this rate, I'll soon
be seen leaping around the garden with a fishing net!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com