Old 09-08-2013, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner Derek Turner is offline

Default Fresh horse sh!t

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 15:43:15 +0000, Baz wrote:

Saxman wrote in news:ku15np$g2j$1
@news.albasani.net:

On 08/08/2013 23:01, David Hill wrote:

If you have a compost heap then I would layer it in the heap, it will
improve your compost no end.
Otherwise I'd bag it and leave it a few months.

That's good advice, just to kill of all the grass seed.

I don't think that grass seed will rot down very quickly. 10 years?
Nettles 10 years? I don't know this as fact. But I read it in this group
that some seeds can lie dormant, even in a compost heap for decades.

Baz

Depends a lot on whether it's a hot heap or a cold one, IWHT. I've
measured well over 60 deg C in a hot 'dalek' and grass clippings reduced
to ash.