Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Recycle

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 13:57:00 +0100, "Indigo"
wrote:

Why there can't be ONE national system for goodness sake, beats me - then we'd all know
where we are.

It's called "the free market". Refuse services here are outsourced.
The same contractor handles the kerbside collections and operates the
local "amenity sites" formerly known as tips. And there are a fair few
oddities:

* Flower pots can be recycled at the tip as "hard plastics" but are
kerbside landfill fodder. Strangely, those hard blue plastic bottles
that Lidl bleach comes in are kerbside recyclable as plastic even
though they are far harder than your average flower pot.
* At kerbside we have one container for cans, plastic bottles, punnets
(not black). I can put those mini greenhouses that plug plants come in
into that container as well. At the tip, cans have to go in the scrap
metal skip and mini greenhouses into the landfill one along with
plastic bottles and punnets (including black).
* Kerbside shredded paper goes in the paper container. At the tip it's
landfill.
* Cut flowers removed from vases are kerbside landfill but any other
plant material is banned unless you "rent" special bags; even in those
special bags, they check that roots of any lifted plants have been
cleaned of soil. At the tip soil (like cut flowers) is green waste.
Odd as I have more than once seen lorries disgorging the contents of
their green waste collection containers into the green waste system at
the tip.

But I wonder can those more intelligent than I interpret "Please
squash plastic bottles before retightening the lid so they take up
less space. Please remove all bottle tops before placing in the
recycling bag."

--
Cheers, Jake