Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Fresh horse sh!t

Derek Turner wrote in news:b6kjooFodmnU1
@mid.individual.net:

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 15:43:15 +0000, Baz wrote:

Saxman wrote in news:ku15np$g2j$1
@news.albasani.net:

On 08/08/2013 23:01, David Hill wrote:

If you have a compost heap then I would layer it in the heap, it will
improve your compost no end.
Otherwise I'd bag it and leave it a few months.

That's good advice, just to kill of all the grass seed.

I don't think that grass seed will rot down very quickly. 10 years?
Nettles 10 years? I don't know this as fact. But I read it in this group
that some seeds can lie dormant, even in a compost heap for decades.

Baz

Depends a lot on whether it's a hot heap or a cold one, IWHT. I've
measured well over 60 deg C in a hot 'dalek' and grass clippings reduced
to ash.

We are talking about seed, not clippings. Also 60c would not reduce them to
ash, would it? Would that temperature kill seed?

Baz