Old 10-08-2013, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Butterfly id

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2013-08-09 18:44:29 +0100, Spider said:

On 09/08/2013 15:01, Sacha wrote:
snip
I caught an extremely fleeting glimpse of a butterfly yesterday with
wings of such a pale beige that it looked almost like a sliver of
tortoiseshell with the light shining through it. It flitted past me so
quickly I had no chance to register much more! At this rate, I'll soon
be seen leaping around the garden with a fishing net!
I know what you mean. An afternoon's planned gardening soon becomes
a butterfly/moth photographing and id-ing exercise. I haven't wafted
a net around yet, but I did save a Jersey Tiger Moth from a huge
spider's web. That's dedication, that is! :~)

I'd called that selfless! ;-)

I call it cruelty to the spider, depriving it of a meal :-)

Shudder! I rescued a bumble bee from a spider recently and I'm afraid I
couldn't summon up any sympathy for the spider, which was trying to wrap
its threads round the frantic bee.

I know what you mean. Spiders have had a pretty good innings over
recent years, so I confess I didn't feel too bad about it. Bumble bees
need all the help they can get, so well done :~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London