Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Cook Phil Cook is offline

Default Tom time

On 10/08/2013 23:17, Victoria Conlan wrote:
Martin wrote:
I thought I'd read somewhere - maybe here? - that they'd be
reclassified as veg?

How can you reclassify it as a veg? Surely the definition comes from the fact
that the seeds grow inside it, so unless they have changed the physical form of
a tomato ...

strawberries are veg?

Ah, now they did this on QI, and I can't remember what the answer was. Each
individual blob of a raspberry is a fruit (or berry). Damn. Nope, can't quite
remember, sorry. But no, they're not a fruit or a veg. They're something like
a composite berrylette (ok, it wasn't this. But something kind of along those
lines)

Strawberries are aggregate accessory fruit according to wonkypedia.
Roughly meaning that the seeds are borne on the fleshy receptacle.

Rasps and blackberries are multiple drupelets; drupes are fleshy fruit
with an internal seed.
--
Phil Cook