Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Alliums

On 2013-08-11 10:36:28 +0100, Pam Moore said:

I've never grown alliums but have decided to try a few next year.
What are your favourite varieties for reliability and longest
flowering?

Pam in Bristol

Globemaster did well for us here for several years, probably about 4 or
5. They were planted in considerable numbers and always caused a lot of
interest and admiration. After that period though, they started to
lose vigour and produced smaller, though still very lovely heads and
were re-planted in containers for this year. We got them from
Parkers. Obviously, the larger the bulbs you buy to start with, the
larger the plants early on in their flowering life. Ray says he thinks
they split them after two years but he's not certain of that as he's
never done it and we don't grow a lot of bulb plants ourselves for
sale. But if you take a look at Parkers online, you'll get plenty to
choose from. I like the white ones, too and hope to get some A.
Bulgaricum this year.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com