Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default cabbage

In article ,
Roy wrote:

On Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:59:16 PM UTC-6, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Drew Lawson wrote:

Next year I may add cabbage to the broccoli. Either way, I am

strongly considering row covers for next year, as long as it is a

reusable material.

Polymer mesh used for netting fruit trees is cheap and will last quite a
few

seasons especially if not put under stress. You could make hoops out of

polypipe to stand it off the plants or just drape it over. You can water

and inspect through the mesh and just lift it to harvest. I find this a

very simple solution to cabbage butterflies.

David

Been using derris dust for over 50 years...good control of
cabbage worms and the derris dust has not harmed me one iota.
Why put up with these pests when it is so easy to dust the
cabbages?

Derris dust is a poisinous preparation of crushed roots from the Derris
plant. Other plants also contain the active ingredient ,called Rotenone,
and are sometimes used. Rotenone is a naturally occurring substance in
many plants. In the past it was considered to be relatively safe however
new research suggests that this may not be the case. Rotenone is
extremely toxic to fish so Derris dust should never be used near
waterways,etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotenone#Parkinson.27s_disease
In 2010, a study was published detailing the progression of
Parkinson's-like symptoms in mice following chronic intragastric
ingestion of low doses of rotenone. The concentrations in the central
nervous system were below detectable limits, yet still induced PD
pathology.

In 2011, a US National Institutes of Health study showed a link between
rotenone use and Parkinson's disease in farm workers.

Bon Appétit
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg