Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
gregz gregz is offline

Default Can this quince tree be saved?

passerby wrote:
Or, put it a different way, is quince rust a death sentence for a quince
tree?

I've planted this quince tree 5 years ago, ordered online from some
nursery I cannot remember the name of. The next year the rust started to
appear. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the actual quince rust "in bloom"
so to speak, but these pictures I'm posting represent what it actually
does to the tree.

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/1k
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/1i
http://www.homeownershub.com/

I've been cutting the affected branches very aggressively for the last 4
years and it resulted in a rather deformed tree. I have also dumped what
much be close to 20 gallons (4-5 1G applications per year) of fungicide on
it.

Last year before dropping leaves in the fall it looked as if I was able to
cut off any branch with rust but this year, as soon as the tree bloomed,
the rust had reappeared and attacked the young fruits and subsequently the
branches so aggressively that I'm ready to give up on it.

So, I'd like to hear the collective wisdom of this esteemed group of
people: is quince rust even curable? What remedies do you think work, if
any? Severe pruning, some special kind of fungicide, a very strict
fungicide application schedule, anything else?

I'd appreciate any advise or comment!

?