Old 12-08-2013, 01:35 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuk20 View Post
My lawn which is approx. 60x40 is made up out of probably 70-80% couch grass, I think now that the previous tenant must have sowed it!

I thought about using weedkiller but there is such a lot I'm not sure if this is the best option. I also thought about rotavating it but fear it will make it worse.

Any suggestions or am I really limited?
Couch grass has underground rhizomes you won't get out, and it only needs a little bit from which it will regrow and spread. If you have got a lot of couch in the lawn, the only approach is to weedkill the lot of it and start again. It's just not worth trying to save the 20% that isn't couch. The good news is that glyphosate is very effective on grass. This is a very good time of year to apply glyphosate. You need to wait for it to die properly though, get taken into the rhizomes. You might just be in time to reseed this year if we have a mild autumn.