Old 12-08-2013, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Can this quince tree be saved?

passerby said:

Or, put it a different way, is quince rust a death sentence for a quince
tree?

I've planted this quince tree 5 years ago, ordered online from some
nursery I cannot remember the name of. The next year the rust started to
appear. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the actual quince rust "in bloom"
so to speak, but these pictures I'm posting represent what it actually
does to the tree.

The "in bloom" comment makes me think this might be cedar-quince rust.
If it *is* cedar-quince rust, you need to find and treat/remove the alternate
hosts (typically junipers or red cedars) and not just the quince.

It may be best just to give up on this tree.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored