Old 12-08-2013, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Fresh horse sh!t

"David Hill" wrote
On 11/08/2013 23:11, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 21:58:53 +0100, "Peter & Jeanne"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

Processed sewage that was full of heavy metals?

Dunno what it was full of, but plants seemed to thrive on its
application -
(:-)

OK if you don't grow vegetables.

Well it used to be collected from Hong Kong and taken to the New
Territories as Night Soil, used to improve the fertility of the soil
for veg growing, the produce was then sold in Hong Kong and so the
cycle was started again.

They still use human sewage sludge in the UK for agricultural
fertiliser - after it's been through the usual treatment processes. They
call it "biosolids" and try not to use the word sewage too much in
descriptions these days to make it sound more up to the minute and
respectable as a fertiliser. Field grown crops we all eat have often
been grown with the useful aid of human poop, whether we know it or not.
Got to use the stuff somewhere or we'd all be up to our knees in it by
now!

--
Sue