Old 12-08-2013, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
passerby passerby is offline

Default Can this quince tree be saved?

replying to Pat Kiewicz , passerby wrote:
pkiewicz wrote:

passerby said:
The "in bloom" comment makes me think this might be cedar-quince rust.
If it *is* cedar-quince rust, you need to find and treat/remove the

alternate
hosts (typically junipers or red cedars) and not just the quince.
It may be best just to give up on this tree.

Thank you for your comment, Pat. Yes, I did read about this strange
inter-species rust and most likely this is what it is. But we don't have
cedars here (and likely within a mile or so) for sure and any junipers on
my property (the ground cover, low growing ones) look healthy, there are
only three of them, anyway, and rather far away from the quince. Honestly,
I don't know what to look for in a juniper - does the rust growth , the
bright orange that looks like flickers of flame, look the same on cedars
and junipers?

That said, there are other types of trees in the development around my
property that show the very same type of rust. Best I can tell those are
flowering varieties of plums or cherries (for some reason not crab apples
which would make more sense). Those trees are on the common areas of the
development and I can't do anything about them. So, I think it's almost a
guarantee that some amount of spores will always be around. You recommend
just cutting the tree?

I'm wondering if there are any rust resistant quince varieties? My guess
is that I should avoid planting an apple in that spot, what else may be in
danger if this rust persists in the environment?

Thank you again for your input!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/garden/...ed-104890-.htm