Old 26-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Gordon Couger

Default German GM wheat trials approved but site sabotaged

The only major concern by farmers about RR wheat is it's marketability.
There is no point in growing something that we can't sell.

The green lobby has wandered off coarse and are trying to block the most
positive technology we have ever found for the environment and ill-informed
believers like Torsten have swallowed their story hook line and sinker.

So called green groups that try to block GM crops and promote organic
farming methods as the answer to the world food problems simple don't
understand the basics of agriculture.

Gordon
"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
TITLE: The Heartland Wrestles With Biotechnology
SOURCE: The Washington Post, USA, by Justin Gillis

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Apr21.html
DATE: Apr 22, 2003

The Heartland Wrestles With Biotechnology

By no means does the opposition movement command unanimous allegiance
in farm country -- the issue has split farmers, farm organizations and
legislatures in at least four states and two Canadian provinces, with
the pro-biotech side plausibly claiming majority support among farmers
in most of those places.

But the strength of the opposition has provoked a rollicking debate.
Roundup Ready wheat is emerging as a key test of whether the
biotechnology industry can take charge of the destiny of a major crop
used primarily as food, something it has yet to accomplish despite
successes in other crops.