Old 12-08-2013, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Alliums

On 11/08/2013 10:36, Pam Moore wrote:
I've never grown alliums but have decided to try a few next year.
What are your favourite varieties for reliability and longest
flowering?

Pam in Bristol

I've had a brilliant display of Alliums this year. I've been growing
them for 5-6 yrs now, adding more each year. I'm on heavyish clay, so
lose a few each year. I find Allium hollandicum "Purple Sensation" good
for colour and good upright appearance. I also grow Allium Christophii,
which has huge metalic lilac-coloured heads of starry flowers. Again,
some persist, some are lost.

I find that the Allium h.'Purple Sensation' flower first, followed by
the A. Christophii. This gives me a relatively long flowering season.

If your soil is heavy, then improving drainage with sharp sand or grit
will help, or you could plant them in pots, but I don't know what that
will do for their longevity. If you want some to try for the first time
without breaking the bank, A.'Purple Sensation' would be your best bet.
A. Chrisophii is also much admired and has a handsome shimmering
presence.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London