Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default ping David Poole

Sacha wrote:
They brought Ray a few goodies including a
Dahlia merckii and one or two other things I haven't examined closely
yet! She mentioned something she's going to send us which sounded like
Onensis spinosa (she couldn't remember the name clearly) Does that ring
any bells with you?

No it doesn't ATM, but if something springs to mind ...
Dahlia merckii is nice - I rather like some of the species. Have you got D. coccinea 'Palmeri'? It has wonderfully lacey, glossy green foliage topped with rather showy, single, bright orange scarlet flowers. It's reasonably hardy and grows to around 2m. high and across. I have it here and fear I'll not have room for it so I thought about passing it on to you.