Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default ping David Poole

On 2013-08-12 22:06:44 +0100, Dave Poole said:

Sacha wrote:
They brought Ray a few goodies including a Dahlia merckii and one or
two other things I haven't examined closely yet! She mentioned
something she's going to send us which sounded like Onensis spinosa
(she couldn't remember the name clearly) Does that ring any bells with
you?

No it doesn't ATM, but if something springs to mind ...
Dahlia merckii is nice - I rather like some of the species. Have you
got D. coccinea 'Palmeri'? It has wonderfully lacey, glossy green
foliage topped with rather showy, single, bright orange scarlet
flowers. It's reasonably hardy and grows to around 2m. high and
across. I have it here and fear I'll not have room for it so I thought
about passing it on to you.

No, we don't have that but I think that's one she was trying to
describe to us. I'm sure Ray would be very grateful to give a home to a
poor orphaned Dahlia. I think he said he'd had D.merckii and lost it
somehow, so he was rather glad to get it again. There's another
interesting looking plant she's included and I'll get the name tomorrow.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com