Old 14-08-2013, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Dark foliage

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
The point that you seem to be dancing around is that modern cultivars
have lost much of their genetic diversity, and to breed new cultivars to
resist present conditions the full genetic repertoire is needed.

sounds to me like an erronious assumption or
unsupportable claim.

if you know what genes/mutations are involved
then there's nothing keeping those from being
included in other seeds. i think GM technology
is heading that direction.

we have ancient seed lines to work with if
we need them.

there's nothing which prevents further mutations
from happening or other changes to be introduced
as needed. at least in theory...

The
repertoire that was lost because of selective breeding. Why would one
think that breeding humans would be any different?

we don't breed humans as much as we breed
other animals or plants, but that is likely
to change.

anywys, the basic human stock of DNA is
already sequenced in several ways, and more
copies are already being collected and
compared and worked with.

i don't think there is any danger of that
being "lost" as long as there is some kind of
technical society left to understand the meaning
of the sequences.

an active designed with a vast store of
knowledge and sequences is unlikely to worry
about losing something.

tell me what can be lost?

here is only one example of information
being collected:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...smithsonian-dn
a-sequencing-science/

i'm pretty sure it is not the only one...

songbird

Ah yes, in that great rising up morning, bye and bye, when we know
everything, then nothing will be too hard for humanity to fix. It will
be wonderful.

In the meantime, we walk in the dark, barking our shins on coffee
tables, and running into walls.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ths-species-8-
7-million-biology-planet-animals-science/
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie