Old 14-08-2013, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default OT free lighting

On 14/08/2013 21:46, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:28:47 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 17:59:31 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

If a bottle delivers say 50 watts of light, then each bottle will have
to have a cross-sectional area of 50/0.045 = 1110 cm^2, or a diameter
of about 37.6 cm. So they'd have to be even bigger than Jeff
suggested, which makes me think the estimate of 40-60 watts is
somewhat exaggerated.

I think you are missing an efficiency factor. I suspect the light you
get from the pop bottle is similar in level to that which you get
from a 40-60 watt tungsten incandescent bulb. Incandescent light
bulbs are horribly inefficient, less than 5%.

Reversing the calculation, a 2 litre pop bottle has a diameter of
about 9.5 cm, so a cross sectional area of about 71 cm^2, and would
give a visible light output of 71x0.045 = 3.2 watts.

3.2 Watts of real light or 64 Watts of incandescent assuming 5%
efficiency.
Most incandescent bulbs won't be that efficient...

Sorry Dave. I didn't see your post before I fired off mine. We think
alike.

Well I have a large sectional concrete garage that has limited windows
and no way of adding more without major deconstruction work, It needs re
roofing so I may try to set s few of those into the new roof when I get
round to that job.
Problem is the roof runs North to South, so should I put them all on the
East slope?
I don't think it would be feasible to set them into the ridge.
David @ a damp side of Swansea bay