Old 26-04-2003, 05:20 AM
swim learning

Default Springtime flowers in North East USA

Thank you all for the helpful comments. Can pear, plum, cherry and
apple trees be (mostly) identified, or at least distinguished from
each other, by inspecting their flowers?

(swim learning) wrote in message om...
Please help me identify these four common New Jersey (planted) plants:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/shahswim/.../SpringFlowers

(if there is a problem accessing the above site, go to
httphotos.yahoo.com/shahswim and click on SpringFlowers)

I can email better resolution photos, if anyone requests.

Comments:
Plant 2: Seems like a Oak or Maple - very common along the roads.
Plant 3: Very common around apartment complexes. Probably a wild
flower intentionally planted?
Plant 4: Very common along road sides.

I see a lot of trees with gorgeous white/cream/pink small flowers
during spring. Although I have checked the basic Peterson and Audubon
guides, I have not been able to identify many of these. Example trees
are hawthorns, mountain-ash, plums, cherries, and crab apples.
Questions:

1. Are there books or internet resources to identify plants based on
flowers?

2. Are there resources for identifying plants based on flowers, that
are white/pink in spring?

2. Which are the best resources to identify plants; not based on
primarily leaves?