Old 15-08-2013, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Dark foliage

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
Ah yes, in that great rising up morning, bye and bye, when we know
everything, then nothing will be too hard for humanity to fix. It will
be wonderful.

In the meantime, we walk in the dark, barking our shins on coffee
tables, and running into walls.

well then tell me,

Try and stop me ;O)

what would you do knowing that in
some number of years the planet earth, the sun and most
of the local system will be gone or uninhabitable?

Planning ahead is a good thing, but looking out some 5 billion years
might be pushing the envelope some.

What are you going to do in a few years when you're gone, or non-viable?
(I'll sign a petition, if you like. ;O)

do you think that we are stuck on this planet forever
without recourse?

The trouble with going away is where ever you go, there you are.

I've never really felt "stuck" on this planet, even if there is no way
for me to walk home.

Mr. Fukuoka and his natural farming would say that
we are not meant to know nature, that science is
useless, that nature is perfect, etc. to be happy is
to be a farmer and doing as little as possible.

Mr. Fukuoka is a wise man. You have your family and friends with
barbecues, and cheating at cards afterwards, on the week-ends. There are
the plants, and animals to know, and the smell that comes after the
rain, the flowers of spring, tending the garden, a cooling swim on a hot
day, stars to look at, the colors of harvest, the migrating geese, the
sound of rain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6OhIZODLDs

which is a nice way to go for some, but others like
to engineer and design and tinker. why is the way
of the tinker outlawed in nature?

It is?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_cognition#Tool_and_weapon_use

I doubt that people could be prevented from tinkering whether it's
crating and transporting fire, or making a sharp edge, or peering over
the edge of the Standard Model to see what else is out there.

yes, i know that only so much can be changed at a
time if nature is to continue in some forms and still
be able to function. i'm not talking about obliterating
nature or any species that currently exist. i just
wonder where those concerned about nature and sustainable
agriculture can find some common ground with the makers
and designers.

I don't see a contradiction, as long as I don't have to eat their
experiments before they are proved to be safe. But what of the day when
people only exist in the conceptual reality between their ears, as
"tweakers" do, and that "consciousness" can be transferred to a chip
(solid state drive) in a mechanical, inorganic, ageless being. The day
that humanity leaves nature behind.

Then we can talk about whether life is worth saving.

anyways, those are the thoughts of today...

in other news, got some of the turnip seeds and
buckwheat seeds scattered and watered in. starting
also to get tomatoes turning color. the weather this
week is forecast sunny, sunny, sunny and getting
warmer. so we'll have a chance of it. will have
to water.

cheers,

songbird

The squash has arrived in all its glory. One zucca, and one crookneck
are producing all we can eat, and the zuchs haven't started yet. The
cucumbers and lettuce are starting to hit their pace. We have tomatoes
most of the week, but it's only the nose of the camel. The peppers have
been sporadic, but now the heat is on us again, after a 6 week departure.
Our weather guesser keeps forecasting 80s F, and we keep getting 90s F.

Work starts in about 2 weeks, and I'm hustling to finish up my projects.

The thunder from the YouTube video posted above reminds me that it's too
bad those inorganic beings of the future aren't here yet. Chili beans
for dinner tonight, with the usual reaction products expected tomorrow.
;O)

"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget
ourselves."
- Mahatma Gandhi
--
Palestinian Child Detained