Old 26-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Jane

Default Wierd Idea??? What do you think?

Hey Rob! I think you have a great idea. I know the Victorians used glass
cylinders to sheath their cucumbers...in order to make them grow long and
straight, because, (I'm serious here...it's true! ) a crooked cucumber was a
sign of moral failure. Ha! Now this idea that you have sounds feasible but
only if the light gets to the plant otherwise your zucc would be very
ghostly. I wanta know if you can do it!
Good luck,
Jane
"Rob Smith" rfsmith@-remove this before sending-alltel.net wrote in
message ...
Today at work, a couple guys a I were talking about this and that. The one
guy "Steve", got talking about a planting a zucchini now for this year's
fair. A couple years ago got first place in the biggest zucchini
competition. As he described it with his hands, it was apparently about 3
feet long, and about 10-12" in diameter at the big end.

Anyway, I got thinking and I want to try to grow a 4-6 foot zucchini.
Here's my thoughts... Take a 6' piece of 4" PVC pipe and cut it in half.
When a zucchini starts growing, put it in the pipe and wrap rope or
something around the pipe halves to keep them from splitting about. Here's
the question... Will the pipe force the zucchini to grow long and skinny, or
will the pressure of growing against the pipe cause the zucchini to crush it
self? Do you think this will produce a long zucchini, or am I nuts? I
think I'm gonna try it anyway, but would like to see some opinions also.

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com