Old 16-08-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Remember when?

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
On 16/08/2013 14:14, David Hill wrote:
Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred
(For the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

Don't people grow their own greens from seeds any more? The only time
I've bought plants (locally) is on the rare occasion my seeds have
failed to germinate or I've forgot to plant them.

I do. Mind you, we only need a few plants of broccoli for two of us, but
a packet of seed lasts several seasons and still manages to germinate
well, it seems. The trays of ready grown plants I saw in the local
garden centres looked starved and pitiful things compared to mine, so it
made me feel like a proper gardener to have grown my own.

--
Sue