Old 16-08-2013, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Remember when?

On 2013-08-16 12:14:57 +0000, David Hill said:

Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

I remember when a lot of things were sensibly priced but unfortunately,
wages were very low and so were expectations. Young people marrying
didn't *expect* to buy a house immediately but certainly expected to
rent for quite a while. Nor did they 'put off' having a baby until
they'd bought a house and furnished it completely, as some do now. Did
employers pay social security stamps back in e.g. the 50s? I just don't
know but they have to pay all those things now and, imo, it's essential
but of course, there's a knock-on effect. Now, things have gone full
circle and I know some young living and working in this area who never
expect to own their own homes because property here is just so
expensive. Food prices have roared upwards and e.g their own cooked,
sliced ham is £17 per kg from our local butcher because the price of
pig food has gone up, for example. There's a famous gardener whose
prices for absolutely everything leave us simply breathless and we can
guarantee that a large amount of that goes in advertising and glossy
catalogues. The power of telly…!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com