Old 16-08-2013, 10:36 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post

I remember when a lot of things were sensibly priced but unfortunately,
wages were very low and so were expectations. Young people marrying
didn't *expect* to buy a house immediately but certainly expected to
rent for quite a while.
On the other hand, rents were lower, indeed often they were controlled. Nowadays mortgage repayments ca be lower than what you pay in rent.

But the big difference is that once 100% mortgages appeared in the 80s, people started expecting to move in and buy new furniture, not live for the first few years on hand-me-downs and makeshifts.