Old 17-08-2013, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default pot bound bedding plants

Very disappointed in the petunias this year. When I dug some up I found
the root ball hadn't got any bigger despite ample soaking and teasing
out of roots when planting. I've had similar problems with violas in the
past and my theory is that, when they've been in the nursery too long,
they never develop into healthy plants. I guess this comes about when
the spring is cold and retailers don't want to take delivery?
Stuff I've grown from seed has thrived in the same soil, so I know it's
not my problem!

I have been tempted in the past to just cut through the root balls with
scissors, but I've always lost my nerve when it came to it. Any comments
appreciated.