Old 17-08-2013, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Out of control grape vine!

On 8/16/13 11:02 AM, wrote:
Prune in spring for "shape". "Tip" in summer where it reaches the size you want to
stop forward growth.
All the sites for grape production is one main stem/trunk. You can select 2+ main
stems sorta heading in the directions you want. Even "trunks" will break buds and
send out vines, so dont worry about next year. Evidently you have selected a site
that may not look "good" but your grape loves it, maybe cause it gets a lot of water?
The best wine grapes in Germany grow in slate, rocky soils, slate is compacted clay.

"Decoration" covers a lot of territory. There is espalier, bushy, jungle, etc. Just
keep an eye out of downy mildew or other fungal disease from too little air
circulation.

Ingrid

Actually, grapes form on spurs or shoots from horizontal scaffold
branches. I know this to be true since I got about 3 gallons of grapes
from each of two vines this year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see