Old 19-08-2013, 11:39 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_3_] View Post
they are no match for my Summer ones, either in quantity or
quality. I wonder if I should have thinned out the canes during the
Summer, as it is a veritable jungle. If they are as poor next year I
will give up and remove them.
I have the opposite experience. Autumn raspberries are copious, large, dark and worm free. They are grown on thin stony soil and I give them nothing but the occasional scattering of wood ash, and water them only in desperately dry conditions. You are supposed to replant raspberries every 10 years or so, but I bought these about 25 years ago and have never renewed them, even took some with me when I moved house. They did even better in the clay-and-flints-and-utter-neglect of my previous house.