Old 19-08-2013, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Bricks and Stones make me moan

Tone70 wrote:

I'm in the midst of totally overhauling my garden and whilst digging up
the top end of the garden I'm constantly coming across
bricks/rocks/stones/broken paving slabs of all shapes and sizes buried
deep in the ground which were put there by the previous tenant.
I'm a complete novice when it comes to the world of the green finger
but am improving and learning all the time. What I need to know is what
is the reason and fascination for having these pain in the arse objects
buried underground in the first place?

if you don't till deeply you can use them as
fill. many garden veggies don't go that deep
and even if they do a rock or a brick isn't
going to hurt their growth.

often when building a house or excavating
there will be rocks, bricks or chunks of
cement buried about.

Is there a mystical garden
enhancing reason why they're there?

probably didn't want to do anything else
with them.

Also I keep coming across a sort of
(I can only describe as) green netting buried underground which comes
apart easily when I try to pull it up. Is this connected to turf or
something? Am I undoing the work of a gardening genius or a lazy arsed
individual who couldn't be bothered to throw the rocks etc away?

netting is sometimes used to hold down straw
used to mulch an area after seeding in the grass
or other ground cover plants. if it falls apart
then leave it alone and it will be gone
eventually.

enough rocks or bricks can always be useful,
we never get rid of those, a small retaining
wall or edge someplace. the snakes always like
having a nice pile of rocks warmed by the sun
to bask upon.

songbird