Old 19-08-2013, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bricks and Stones make me moan

On 19/08/2013 20:36, Tone70 wrote:
I'm in the midst of totally overhauling my garden and whilst digging up
the top end of the garden I'm constantly coming across
bricks/rocks/stones/broken paving slabs of all shapes and sizes buried
deep in the ground which were put there by the previous tenant.
I'm a complete novice when it comes to the world of the green finger
but am improving and learning all the time. What I need to know is what
is the reason and fascination for having these pain in the arse objects
buried underground in the first place?

"Out of sight, out of mind". Quite often they are just thrown on the
surface, and over time become buried as dead plant material collects on
top of them and creates new soil as it rots down.

Is there a mystical garden
enhancing reason why they're there? Also I keep coming across a sort of
(I can only describe as) green netting buried underground which comes
apart easily when I try to pull it up. Is this connected to turf or
something?

Probably put down to keep birds from eating grass seed. Once the seed
was up it should have been removed, but obviously wasn't. But you are
not alone - I've just had some turf removed as a preliminary to creating
some new borders. Quite a few pieces of the removed turf had fruit-cage
netting embedded in it.

Am I undoing the work of a gardening genius or a lazy arsed
individual who couldn't be bothered to throw the rocks etc away?

I think the latter, although lazy is probably the wrong word - it should
be "stupid". A few months ago I dug out a kerbstone half a metre down
in a raised patio whilst digging a hole for a small tree. Someone had
to lift this 35kg+ piece of stone up on top of the patio, then dig a
large hole to put it in (along with several bricks, etc). Why? It
would have been easier and less trouble to dump it in the hardcore skip
at the local amenity tip. unless, of course, they had a JCB to help
them do it...

--

Jeff