Old 19-08-2013, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bricks and Stones make me moan

Tone70 wrote:
I'm in the midst of totally overhauling my garden and whilst digging
up the top end of the garden I'm constantly coming across
bricks/rocks/stones/broken paving slabs of all shapes and sizes buried
deep in the ground which were put there by the previous tenant.
I'm a complete novice when it comes to the world of the green finger
but am improving and learning all the time. What I need to know is
what is the reason and fascination for having these pain in the arse
objects buried underground in the first place? Is there a mystical
garden enhancing reason why they're there? Also I keep coming across
a sort of (I can only describe as) green netting buried underground
which comes apart easily when I try to pull it up. Is this connected
to turf or something? Am I undoing the work of a gardening genius or
a lazy arsed individual who couldn't be bothered to throw the rocks
etc away?

It is pure laziness. Usually rubble comes from the builder who calls
papering over the mess that he doesn't want to take to the tip as
landscaping. It is common to bring in topsoil and/or turf and just lay them
over any building rubbish.

What is the netting made of and how big is the mesh?

David