Old 22-08-2013, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Baker Steve Baker is offline

Default cucumber ideas? I got one tomato this summer, at least it was a good one

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:39:14 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Steve Baker wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:52:09 -0400, "Gus"
wrote:

Other than salads and slices on sandwiches, I don't know what to
do with them all.

Norwegian Cucumber Salad (Agurksalat)

Use smallish cukes, maybe 50% larger than pickling size. Peel strips
of skin leaving about 1/3 of the skin. Score lightly lengthwise with a
fork. It lets in dressing with thickish slices, and looks pretty in
any case. Slice very thinly... I use the food processor. Cover with
dressing made in these proportions and refrigerate for a bit.

3 cukes
1 smallish medium onion sliced *very* thinly

Dressing
2/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup cold water
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dill
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Sounds great!

It's awesome, definitely my favorite way to eat cukes. It might not
qualify as "Agurksalat", but that's the recipe I've evolved.

For me I would leave out the water

Don't leave out the water. You don't want the cukes soaking in pure
vinegar, and you want to cover them with the dressing.

until I was sure that I
needed that volume of dressing, otherwise it could be rather watery.

But, of course, you can do what you want.

Note
that this dressing will draw water out of the cucumbers.

Not much. Just enough so that if the dressing doesn't quite
completely cover the cukes you'll still be OK. With a stir every now
and then.