Old 22-08-2013, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default cucumber ideas? I got one tomato this summer, at least it was a good one

Gus said:

Cucumber plant is going
insane. I have three in the fridge and there are a bunch more coming due
soon. Other than salads and slices on sandwiches, I don't know what to
do with them all. I like them as slices for a snack once in a while. I
used to do that at work. Good with some salsa and/or hummus on them.

Soups. There are a lot of different recipes for both cold and hot soups
with cucumbers as a major ingredient. Lots of leads if you search the Web.

One I remember is Asian, made with chicken broth, chunks of peeled
and seeded cucumbers, and bean thread noodles. Seasoned with garlic,
ginger and a waft of sesame oil, garnished with cilantro. Can add
scallops if you want to make it luxurious.

Then there are the cold, pureed soups, made with chicken broth, sour
cream (you could substitute plain non-fat Greek yogurt) and often
seasoned with dill or lemon.

And I cannot forget to mention Polish cucumber soup (ogorkowa).
http://www.tastingpoland.com/food/re...mber_soup.html

I can't grow cucumbers at all; they start to run and then invariably wilt
and die. For a while I had a system rigged up to grow them in an enclosure
where they were protected from beetles (and pollinators) but that would
only delay the death long enough to get a few cucumbers before the plants
died from fungus likely related to lack of air circulation. Too much work for
too little reward.

I can't grow melons here, either, and I used to have beautiful melons at my
old place.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."