Old 22-08-2013, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Harvesting winter squash

Derald wrote:
Dan Musicant wrote:

I grow kabochas yearly. I've had two nemeses:

1. powdery mildew that sets in in July and pretty much kills the plants,
eventually.

Research done in Brazil, Australia, California and throughout North
America since the late '90s demonstrates that a 10% solution of "skim"
milk or dairy whey in water, aided by sunlight, controls and sometimes
eliminates powdery mildew on a wide range of garden plants. Low fat
powdered milk mixed at 15 g (nominally 1/2 oz) per liter (nominally 1 US
qt) of water also works. I can attest (anecdotally) that milk spray is
more effective than copper or neem oil and at least as effective as
sulfur -- and is far less likely to harm plants that any of those.

have you ever tried a weak vinegar solution?

I'm in Florida where powdery mildew becomes a potentially serious
problem anytime after late April, depending on the onset of "summer"
rains. I have found -- again, anecdotally -- that "whole" milk seems to
interfere with pollination of some garden plants so, if you try it, be
sure to stick with low fat or no fat milk or liquid whey.

hmm.

2. squirrel(s) that attack the fruit. It/they can decimate the crop,
destroying a squash-a-day when they get into it, unless the squash are
hung high and inaccessible (I try to do this by trellising).

Cats are the perfect "tree rat" controllers. It can be difficult,
though, to find the tiny boots, whips and chairs they need. Cats do not
make the mistake of relocating the vermin; they just kill them outright
and sometimes even eat them. Warning: You must acquire the cats at very
young ages in order to teach them to discriminate among squirrels,
rabbits and birds as prey and you must also be willing to eliminate
those cats that cannot learn the distinction.

i think we could avoid a lot of bunny
damage here if i could convince Ma to mow
the little bit of lawn we have left at a
higher level so that more clover and
plantains would be left for them to graze.

squirrels not a common problem. though we
did have one the other day getting a drink
from the pond (which to me is really just
a water feature and not really an actual
live pond). as i don't want them around i
used the air-rifle to nudge it along back to
the tree line.

bird damage this year that i've noticed
has been on the strawberries, and i've got
enough that i don't mind sharing. they
eat plenty of other bugs so i'm ok if they
get something else to eat once in a while
too. they need a balanced diet as much as
i do.

My "neighborhood" is still somewhat rural and am far more likely to
lose produce to raccoons (they pick young peppers) and to birds
(tomatoes and green beans) than to squirrels or to rabbits.

i've not ever seen damage to the beans or
tomatoes from birds. at least not that i
can ever recognize. if they are eating
whole flowers off a plant (going after bugs?)
i wouldn't know as there are too many to
keep track of.

do you notice a particular type of bird
that is getting the beans?

songbird