Old 24-08-2013, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default cucumber ideas? I got one tomato this summer, at least it wasa good one

On 8/21/2013 9:52 AM, Gus wrote:
I got a prize tomato the other day. Was afraid the squirrel would get it
but it was kind of hidden and it did not get it and I tempted fate and
let it ripen on the vine. I do find a tomato remnant now and then from
the squirrel, but there are still some more forming getting close to
full grown. Hopefully, I will get a few more... Cucumber plant is going
insane. I have three in the fridge and there are a bunch more coming due
soon. Other than salads and slices on sandwiches, I don't know what to
do with them all. I like them as slices for a snack once in a while. I
used to do that at work. Good with some salsa and/or hummus on them.

I've got the same problem.

Tried making pickles the easiest way but they were on the soft side and
too salty. Don't rely on the internet but use directions in reliable
sources like the Ball canning book.

I don't eat that many pickles and thinking about relish, would be the
same, so not bothering this year.

Simple thing you can do, if you have an open jar of pickles in the
refrigerator, add your cucumbers and in a couple of weeks they will be
similar but you cannot take this too far.

I sometimes trade with neighbors for their excess produce but they are
trying to give me cucumbers.

Now I give them away or just let them go bad.