Old 25-08-2013, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Picking (Bell) Peppers

Higgs Boson wrote:
Have gorgeous orange/yellow Bell peppers ripening. I want to pick
them at peak of perfection. I tug at them lightly every day, but
they hold tight.

Is that when one is "supposed" to pick peppers -- when they come away
from the plant?

This site:

http://www.homegrown-peppers.com/gro...-pick-peppers/

has a different opinion, but writer does state that she picks earlier
because of humid climate.

Mine is dry. Mediterranean. So.Calif coastal.

This site:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/p...024032752.html

has more comprehensive information, but most is devoted to hot
peppers. Just a few paragraphs on sweet peppers.

Would value input from people who either have that kind of climate,
or have experience/information about when I should pick.

Awaiting your real life input tensely. I don't want to miss magic
moment.
BIG peppers bright yellow. Are they going to turn RED?

HB

Green is immature but these are often picked anyway. The mature colour is a
matter of genetics, you can get yellow, orange, red, purple, brown and
possibly other colours. Those that end up red often go through yellow and
orange on the way. The flavour may change as they mature, in some cases
they get sweeter or the flavour intensifies. However as they get older they
are more likely to get diseases. There is no one 'right' time. The tug
test is not useful. I would have taken some when green. I suggest starting
now and taste as the season progresses.

David