Old 29-08-2013, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Slowin' Down

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Snag wrote:

Chicken is good for adding nutrients particularly N and P but not so good
as a soil conditioner to add organic matter.

Might be a good
pace to start , if someone else hasn't already got a deal with the
owners . My only problem with composting is a shortage of green stuff
to add to the pile .

You don't need to add anything. The nuggets will break down to a soft
fibrous bulk with very little odour. Horse is one of the least offensive
manures that needs the least processing or care in its use. Many people
over-think this composting business and make work for themselves. You can
put horse pucks straight on to mature shrubs (for example) hot out of the
beast. Unless you know the provenance of it a test for viable seeds is in
order first as stabled horses can be fed whole grains (but not
necessarily) as part of their diet where some grain can survive their
chewing and digestion. If there is viable seed and you don't want (say)
oats to sprout you will have to partially compost it. If it is damp and
the weather is mild the seeds will sprout and be killed off as you turn
it.

+1 to everything David said about horse plops. I love horse plops.