Old 26-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default German GM wheat trials approved but site sabotaged

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:49:16 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

The only major concern by farmers about RR wheat is it's marketability.

It should be a major concern to them, if their customers send signals
of "Don't want it. Don't need it", as reported in the article.

There is no point in growing something that we can't sell.

Exactly. There is a distinct possibility that RR wheat for bread could
fall in that category.

The green lobby has wandered off coarse

Perhaps from screaming 'The sky is falling' too much?
Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

and are trying to block the most
positive technology we have ever found for the environment

Yeah, speak about hype.

and ill-informed
believers like Torsten have swallowed their story hook line and sinker.

Shrug. In the discussions we have had you have found me well-informed
and not at all gullible.

So called green groups that try to block GM crops and promote organic
farming methods as the answer to the world food problems simple don't
understand the basics of agriculture.

Otoh, those who would try to block organic farming methods and promote
GM crops as the answer to the worlds food problems would seem to be
wildly off, too.

It stands to reason that if GM crops were -the- answer to the worlds
food problems, we would have no option but to persue it. Reality,
however, is rather more complex.