Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialbeat View Post
Hi there fellow gardeners. Could you tell me, is this image a Philadelphus?
If not, any guesses? Apparently it hasn't flowered in a while, probably due to pruning at wrong time of year???? Thanks.
Looks just like philadelphus to me. (Venation of leaves not quite right for Syringa, and usually syringa are thicker and shinier.) And yes, if you prune them in winter or spring you do lose the flowers. Prune immediately after flowering, so usually in about July, and preserve some new shoots that are forming, those are the ones that will flower next year.