Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default White colour appears on the pot

Markjump wrote:
This plant grows quite well, but why the white colour appears on the
pot?
How to remove it?

Filename: WhiteColour.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15820|

It is dissolved salts that have gone through the porous pot and then dried
out. This could be from fertiliser or from the soil in the pot or both.
You can sit the pot in a tub of water and scrub it with a stiff brush. OTOH
you can use non porous pots or just put up with it.

David

This mineral deposit can also be from the water used to irrigate the
plant.

I leave it alone until I am ready to reuse the pot (e.g., potting a
rooted cutting from the plant that was previously in the pot). Then I
take a wire brush to clean away most of the mineral.

Actually, I think light mineral deposits add character to the pot. And
in the brick path from the public sidewalk to my front door, I really
like seeing bricks with different amounts of minerals.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see